Do you resonate with at least thirty of the following negative beliefs about money -- or can you come up with a list of your own? By resonate, I mean you identify with those beliefs – you have found yourself thinking or believing them at any point in your life, or you have heard someone say them to you at least once.
You are probably in need of some energetic clearing, message re-framing, and reprogramming around the concept of abundance.
The following list is for use in the Re-framing Exercise found in The Money Shift.
- Money doesn't grow on trees.
- Money changes people.
- Money changes everything.
- It's all about money.
- You can't get something for nothing.
- Who do you think you are?
- You're getting too big for your britches.
- There's never enough money to go around.
- Money goes out faster than it comes in.
- Money is evil.
- Spiritual people aren't supposed to be rich.
- Materialism is a sin.
- Money is the devil.
- Better to stick with the devil you know.
- People with a lot of money are cheating.
- Rich people are greedy.
- Rich people are dishonest.
- Rich people are going to hell.
- God is punishing me by making me poor.
- God has forgotten about me.
- Some people just have all the luck.
- People with money think they're better than everybody else.
- If I change my status, I'll lose people I care about.
- Nobody cares about those who are struggling.
- Money can't make you happy.
- You can't be happy if you're always worried about money.
- Worrying about money will kill you.
- I need a lot of money first in order to make more money.
- I can never get ahead with my bills.
- I'll never get out of debt.
- There's not much opportunity for someone like me.
- I hate going to the mailbox; all I get are bills.
- I just don't want to think about money.
- I don't even want to know what my account balance is.
- If you want anything in this life you have to work hard for it.
- This could all disappear in an instant.
- If you have a lot of money, you have to pay people to manage it.
- The more you make, the more you'll get taxed.
- Having a lot of money is a lot of responsibility.
- The more money you have, the more problems you have.
- More money will complicate everything.
- It's safer to be poor.
- If you're rich, you're a target.
- I'm middle-class; that's good enough.
- Some people are just meant to be poor.
- I'll be rewarded later, in the afterlife.
- I'll never amount to anything.
- I don't deserve to be successful.
- I'm not good enough at anything to make money.
- I'm not uniquely talented or gifted in any way.
- I'm not smart enough to make a lot of money.
- I can't make any money at what I'm good at.
- I'm a starving artist (writer | musician | etc).
- I'm a loser.
- I'm terrible with money.
- I can't handle money.
- I can't manage money.
- I have terrible luck.
- I can try, but I know I'll probably fail.
- I have a fear of failure.
- I have a fear of success.
- I don't want to get my hopes up.
- I have bad karma.
- I'll never get a good job in this economy.
- The financial system is rigged against people like me.
- The cost of living rises faster than wages.
- Nobody can live well on what I make.
- I'll never get a good-paying job because I don't have academic qualifications.
- My degree is worthless.
- Higher education is just a scheme to get young people in debt.
- The government gives my hard-earned money to people who don't want to work.
- I'll never be able to pay off my credit card bills.
- I'll always be in debt because of the interest.
- I am so broke right now.
- My bank balance is in the negative.
- I'd like to, but I don't have the money.
- I never have any money.
- I can't afford that.
- I never have anything left over to save.
- My family was poor so I'll be poor too.
- The deck is stacked against me.
- My family couldn't give me a head start.
- I'll never save enough to retire.
- Life is hard.
- Struggling is how we learn.
- I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
- God is testing me.
- That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
- I'm a realist.
- Most people's dreams do not come true.
- Miracles never happen to me.
- I never win anything.
- I don't believe in karma.
- I don't believe in fate.
- I don't believe in God.
- I suck at manifesting.
- The Universe doesn't give a shit.
- The law of attraction is new age bullshit.
- The prosperity gospel is sacrilegious.
- You can't buy your way into heaven.
- You can't take it with you.
Whose Beliefs Are These? Did they even originate with you? Who said them to you?
The messages and beliefs you carry about money did not infiltrate your mind and spirit overnight – they were habitually reinforced from a variety of sources over the course of your lifetime.
Once you begin to consciously observe what these messages are, where they came from, who first said them to you, you can start the process of disassociating from them and replacing them with positive alternatives.
How to Reframe Thoughts about Money You can reframe a negative belief into a positive affirmation by rewriting its exact opposite in your own words.
- "Money doesn't grow on trees" becomes "Abundance is unlimited"
- "Money is evil" becomes "Money can be used to do great things in the world"
- "I can't afford that" becomes "I'm making wise choices about my financial priorities"
Anything you do becomes a habit after 30 consecutive days of thoughts and actions – whether it’s the manner in which you behave, the words you choose to speak, or the way you think.
Thoughts are things; words are their handles.
Learn how to handle your thoughts about money and you can begin to shift your overall relationship with abundance.
Image credit nickk88 via Creative Commons on Flickr
Check out the course description page.